Sunday, January 4, 2015

Our Sorta Staycation

A while ago Mister suggested that we trek into Chicago for a weekend away to celebrate our 2 years together as married folk. I was quite surprised that he wanted to do this since we're trying to save some dough, but it turns out he had a surprise for me. I had been hinting at wanting to see Cinderella for the past year and had honestly thought they had fallen on deaf ears. Silly me for thinking so. For our anniversary I was surprised with tickets to see the show the weekend we'd be down there. Crafty Mister! 

So this past Friday we headed into the city for a weekend just us two. I always forget how lucky we are to live so close to Chicago. Our hotel was fun, very modern, and had the best bed I have ever slept in. I spent more time than I should have thinking how I could steal that bed. We really had no plans as to what we'd do or where we'd eat so we walked around a bit Friday and stumbled upon Elephant & Castle. I had hands down the best butter chicken I have ever tasted. We then got lost in the South loop looking for a Target I thought I spotted. We found it...eventually. While we bought some snacks (mini bars are still crazy pricey) I fantasized that we actually lived in the City and were making a grocery run. Actually the entire time we were there I imagined that we lived downtown. I have a very strong fantasy life. 

The rest of the weekend went by in a blur. Cinderella was wonderful, funny, & magical. Lots of women & young women wearing crowns. It had snowed/rained while we were in the theater so we slipped and slid over to dinner at Magianos. I was craving Italian food and at this point I did not want to risk my life to find a less touristy joint. Dinner again was amahzing, lobster mac & cheese is on my top 5 list & a dark and stormy is my new drink. Before we retired to our hotel room we checked out the giant Walgreens next door. I have a weird thing for convenience stores that look different than ones near where I live. This one had a sushi bar, fro yo station & every possible bottle of liquor you could imagine. I was in heaven. We went back to our room, watched some movies & talked about our 2015 goals. 

Sunday was check out day & the skies opened up and poured down a blanket of snow. It was so fun walking around the quiet city while it snowed around us. We had left the hotel early to get breakfast at our beloved Corner Bakery. The one right by our house closed when we moved to town so we took advantage of one being so close to the hotel. My heart got broken by Argo Tea since they are apparently closed on Sundays and I was denied a red velvet tea. We boarded the squeakiest train known to man and were on our way home. We both loved being away for the weekend in the city that I love, but man oh man are we glad to be in our own house with our Corgi. 

Butter Chicken...Om nom nom
Love this installation in Anthropologie! They're all wine corks!
All romantic & rainy 
Trying to take a sneaky pic in the theater. The last time I did this I got seriously yelled at by a theater employee. 

This marquee lights up my life (pun intended, sorry I had to)
Plum-Grape-Blackberry juice? Um yes please!
Our snowy view
Yay it's snowing and we get to walk around in it!

My two guys who are both just as happy as I am to be home!
Spending the weekend in the city was just what the doctor ordered for us. We were really burned out and exhausted by our jobs so we loved the chance to re-charge. Stay tuned for lots more posting...the city really inspired me and seemed to have jump started my heart for creativity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment